Sunday, June 28, 2015

An act of kindness

In my last post, I regaled you with my light impressions of a city called New York. Or as I called it, my reason 1 of having not been writing as much as I'd like.

Well tonight you get Reason 2: a new job.

I still work full time, so it really shouldn't have that much of an effect, but it seemingly has. Mentally speaking, it doesn't take much to force my train of thought onto lesser used paths. A new job, and subsequently new people, duties, and lingering aches, would be just such a thing to make my train wander.

Wandering trains, there's a weird image.

Anyway, since a week and a few days ago, I am employed at a bus depot, dealing with freight and passangers. I've got to say though, it's going swimmingly. It pays more than my last job but isn't loads more difficult. It's actually about the same level of of physical exertion.

The people at this new job are pretty swell too. I get along good with them... well so far, but I'm pretty easy going.

Me getting this job is a huge blessing in my life. And it's one I actually have to thank my previous boss for.

You see, I got the call for the job on a thursday. But they wanted me to start friday. I, trying to be a decent sort of fellow, and genuinely liking the people at my last job, wanted to do right by them and give them proper notice. When I told my new boss this, he didn't seem entirely sure that would work.

I had resigned myself to letting the job go, not wanting to be unprofessional or do a discourtesy to my old boss. However, when I told my old boss this, she said to me that she knew how important it was to me to find a new job, and that if it was a difference between me getting the job, and me not getting the job, I should just go take the job and not give her notice.

Immeditaly called my new boss back and told him I could start friday.

I spent the rest of that suddendly last day at work in something of a state of shock. I simply couldn't believe that the job I had been ready to let pass me by was suddendly mine. And I could hardly believe the kindness of my boss in her offer to me.

I found out later in the day that two members of her staff had also quit/given notice. I felt bad for her situation, but that knowledge just made her act of kindness towards me all the more powerful.

I will be sending her a copy of my fantasy book when it's done, and a nice thank you card.

Well that's it for tonight. Farewell for now.

No comments: